Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Novel Talk: Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1)

on...
 
 
Synopsis:
 

Cas Lowood, armed with his late father's athame knife, kills ghosts. In Thunder Bay, Anna, forever 16, drips blood on her white dress from throat slit in 1958, and rips apart anyone who enters her house - except Cas. He makes new friends - high school queen Carmel, jock Will, admiring nerd Thomas and Tom's voodoo grandpa Morfran - to fight this demon.



Novel Talk by:  H.Lee - I have not started it yet, but plan on reading it this weekend.

Novel Talk by:  Christina- I'm halfway done with the book and the writing in it is pretty good. The way the ghosts are described freaks you out. I was awake most of the night since I'm terrified of ghost stories and couldn't sleep...:-) My fave character so far is Thomas. 

Novel Talk by:  Charlotte- I have only read the first 6 chapters so far, but I really like this book. I agree with Christina about it being freaky. I am the same way with ghost stories! I think that this book was a great choice because I was kind of on the fence about reading it before. The writing is great. The author gives you a lot of information without bogging you down with too many details. It is straight to the point and keeps you wanting more. I also really like the way she throws you into the story right off the bat and still manages to explain the back story throughout the present story. I'm not sure I explained that the best so I hope you understood it. I'm looking forward to finishing it, hopefully this weekend.

 
Novel Talk by:  Charlotte- I just finished this book and I loved it!! My favorite character was Anna. I think she is a bad-ass, especially at the end. I am so glad that I read this book!
 
Novel Talk by:  H.Lee-   I have started the book and I am on chapter 14. So far I think my favorite character is Thomas. He is just so awkward and strange. I like the book so far, but I feel that it is missing something??? I am not sure, but I am not consumed by it...maybe it will grab me at the end.
 
Novel Talk by:  Charlotte- I'm really glad that the book turned around for you. It was so good! I'm still feeling freaked out by it!!
 
Novel Talk by:  H.Lee - me too Charlotte! I did enjoy the end and look forward to the next book!
Novel Talk by:  Christina- I felt the same exact way. One of the things was I think the love story. I didnt feel the connection between Anna and Cas. I really think there characters were not developed as much as Thomas and the rest. I don't know maybe i'm wrong.

Novel Talk by:  Charlotte- Well it is a little hard to imagine a love story between a human and a ghost. I wanted to feel that part of the story, but it was a little out there.
Novel Talk by:  H.Lee -I agree with you both. The characters were not developed fully and it was hard to picture a ghost and a human.

I think it might be the fact that the love just sort of started out of nowhere...we do not get a glimpse of how or why??? Plus, Anna is so awful..it is hard to imagine why the such attraction

Novel Talk by:  Christina-  I don't think Anna was awful...well at first she was but she didn't want to be. She was cursed to be like that. I think that now that she's not cursed she would be a great character. I'm curious to see what happens next. I have to say I was a little teary when the part about her death came around. her mother was TERRIBLE! 

Novel Talk by:  H.Lee - oh gosh, I cried too!!! It was horrible! That is the one thing that I did like about this book...nothing was sugarcoated...it had the sadness and the gore
 

Novel Talk by:  Christina-  Exactly! Thats what was so good about it!! I hadn't read a book that made me afraid to sleep but that first night was terrible. lol. she gave us just the right amount of description and that in turn creeped us out enough.

Novel Talk by:  Charlotte-
I really thought Anna was great. I thought she was scary when she was first introduced in the story, but once she spared Cas, I really liked her. You could feel from that moment that there was more to her than a murderous ghost.

I was creeped out a bit while reading this and did have trouble falling asleep, but it wasn't bad until a day or two after I finished the book. I was thinking about it and the Obeahman guy really scared the crap out of me!!!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

We “The Novel Lasses” would love to know what you are thinking. Leave us a comment and Alexandra or Lissa will get back to you ASAP! Remember to be kind and love one another! Share!