Saturday, January 19, 2013

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Forbidden

5 Solemn Stars
Rating: 5 of 5 stars


Lil' Lass Says:To some it may appear that Lochan was weak for taking his own life. In retro respect it was the noblest act he ever committed. His love for Maya transcended the time he was living in. In order to protect Maya and his sibling he felt he had to carry the burden all on his own. I have never read a book so powerfully written and the characters so full of life that eight days after reading I still haunted by overwhelming gripping sadness and pain. I truly wished for a different ending for Lochan and Maya but had they received their fairytale ending, I don't think the book would have been as powerful.



Big Lass Reviews:
 
"Lochie. The boy I once loved. The boy I still love. The boy I will continue to love, even when my part in this world is over too.”

It has been a while since I have read a book that has left me totally and completely emotionally drained. I can't even find the words to do this book a proper review. When I was introduced to Forbidden through its synopsis by a friend I almost passed on reading it. I couldn't find it within me to read about a incest. Then I was floored by her review and I had to pull it off my to-read and just give it a chance.

"You can close your eyes to the things you do not want to see, but you cannot close your heart to the things you do not want to feel."

Tabitha Suzuma drew me in with her powerful beautiful writing. After the siblings father has abandoned them and their mother has walked out them to recapture a youth long lost. Over the following five years seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya become surrogate parents to their three younger siblings, Kit who is thirteen, trapped in the middle not a child yet not a man and Tiffin and Willa the babies (six and eight??). She created a strong functioning dysfunctional family of siblings that all they want is to stay together. You can't help but to feel the love the siblings have for one another and find yourself hoping that Lochan can keep it together long enough to take proper custody of his sibling to keep the schools, social services and their mother at bay.
"How can something so wrong feel so right?"

Upon starting the book I already had my mind made up. Brother and Sister involved in a relationship, now way I could condone that line being crossed. However, I found myself trusted into a grey area while reading, choosing not to read with the mindset of what is right and wrong; but with the heartbreaking anguish of both Lochan and Maya as they fight tooth and nail against how they fell . Not once did characters ever let me forget they were brother and sister as they struggled with the overwhelming emotions.
“At the end of the day it's about how much you can bear, how much you can endure. Being together, we harm nobody; being apart, we extinguish ourselves.”
 
In all honesty Forbidden brought me to my knees. I was torn, my heart shredded as I pushed through Lochan and Maya growing on me even as their relationship pushed beyond unspeakable boundaries. Leaving me questioning my own beliefs... as you read a story such as one of forbidden love, learn to love and care for the characters, understand their struggles and the emotional battle that threatened to drive them both insane.

This is one of the best books I have has ever read! It would be my advice to pick up a copy and read it ASAP and have plenty of Kleenex available. However, it is not suitable for younger children.


 

4 comments:

  1. I will definitely read this one soon ☺ I don't think it's self-published though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is my understanding that it was self-published in May of 2012 the US until the reprint was picked up by Simon & Schuster in June of 2012. My version has no publisher. I looked again but don't see it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was originally published in May 2010 by definitions, and then again in June 2011 by simon pulse x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pooh :(

    I will have update and take the self-Pub challenge off. Then I will have to do a correction to the update my self pub update to remove this and add Starceossed 2. Well I'll add 2 when I can get mom to finish reading it.
    Thanks Miss Sarah.

    ReplyDelete

We “The Novel Lasses” would love to know what you are thinking. Leave us a comment and Alexandra or Lissa will get back to you ASAP! Remember to be kind and love one another! Share!