Friday, January 18, 2013

Beautiful Disasters (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire


Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1)

5 Disastrously Beautiful stars
 Rating: 5 of 5 stars
Lil' Lass Muses
Genre: Mature Young Adult Chic-lit
My Book Boyfriend : Crazy Travis or his supportive cousin Shapley… think I will pass!
Most Like Me or who I want to be : There was one??? Allie and America?? Again I pass!!!

Want More ? Yes!!! And my mom says book two is going to be from Travis POV!!! Way better than Twilight because she is going to do it!!!!!!!!!!!! It's due out this year!!!!!!!!!!!
Recommend : Yes! Grades 9 and up!
 
 
Big Lass Reviews:

“Beautiful Disaster” is like a car wreck blocking half the road. You don’ want to jam traffic up any more than it already is but you can’t help but to slow down and take a look at all the damage that was done.

It was impossible for me to put the book down until the very end. It was as if McGuire herself has somehow found her way into my memories I had locked away long ago yet somehow my own self preservation will never let me forget. So for me Beautiful Disaster was my car wreck. I had no choice but to slow down and look for the damage throughout. Only where I never saw a happy ending— it seems Abby get hers. I was split in two; the romantic side of me was in complete ahh. However, the realistic side of me was latterly spent a massive amount of time yelling at my kindle.


Yes the story is a fictitious one and I know this, yet McGuire breaths so much truth and life into the fabric of the pages it made my stomach churn in fear as I held my breath waiting for the turn of the page where Travis would finally snap and all hell would break loose in Abby’s world.


Travis is the male lead that you want to hate, love and feel sympathy for. His womanizing ways made me sick. His rash temper and possessiveness made me hate him. Then when his past is revealed, I had a wave of sympathy for him but I couldn’t get past his personality.

NOTE TO ALL READERS: VISIT ANY DOMESTIC VIOLENCE WEBSITES FOR THE SIGNS TO TELL IF YOUR PARTNER IS ABUSIVE!!!


IF YOU ANSWER THEN YOUR PARTNER IS ABUSIVE :
 
 
 
 
 
Does your partner??:
• Have a bad and unpredictable temper?
• Hurt you, or threaten to hurt or kill you?
• Threaten to commit suicide if you leave?
• Say he/she can’t live without you?
• Force you to have sex?
• Destroy belongings?
• Act excessively jealous and possessive?
• Constantly check up on you? 
• Never want you to leave his/her side?

Then there is Abby— Don’t even get me started. I was once in her shoes. She might have got her happy ending but if the story continues and for all young adult readers worldwide I pray the McGuire will continue. But how long can Abby’s happy ever after last? At some point I the rose colored glasses that have been warn throughout this book need to be removed. Because I am sorry to say but without meds for Travis and deep, very deep therapy for both Abby and Travis this coupling is headed down a long dark path no woman wants to walk.

Now let us visit the supporting characters or should I say blind enablers. It’s supposed to be the ones on the outside of the relationship looking in that sees the relationship for what it is because they are not wearing the rosy glasses. It seems as though America has a death wish for her best friend. Who the hell needs a friend like that? Not Abby that much is clear. However, in the beginning Shapley, Travis cousin was the only one with brains trying to keep Abby clear if him. Then somewhere along the line his stupid ass drank the Kool-aide and dawned his own rosy glasses.


It may seem as though I am hating on Beautiful Disaster’s but I’m not. It is a story that needs to be told and at this point needs to continue. Because yes some woman drink the Kool-Aide while wearing rosy glasses and think they can save the one they love and in the end they can’t.

Travis has some redeemable characteristic but in reality that is not enough. The story sends a powerful message but not the one I was expecting. It has a fairy-tale ending and that bothers me. Knowing my own daughters and young impressionable girls around the world are reading this and may one day find them self’s in the same situation and think they too can have the fair-tale ending they read about.


My advice… Parents talk to your sons and daughters before or after reading this. Advise them of the dangers and signs of an abusive partner. It could one day save their life.


2 comments:

  1. I seriously don't know how travis managed to make it all the way through this book without being arrested! You can't just go around punching people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Miss Sarah it must be like this: That boy is just too darn fine to spend time in jail. Then again he could so crazy that towns folk shake in their boots when he is near. But think it has something to do with who his family is. Hope that al come out in the next book.

    ReplyDelete

We “The Novel Lasses” would love to know what you are thinking. Leave us a comment and Alexandra or Lissa will get back to you ASAP! Remember to be kind and love one another! Share!