Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Road to You bu Marilyn Bryant

The Road to YouSynopsis:

Sometimes the only road to the truth...is one you’ve never taken.


Until I found Gideon’s journal in the tool shed — locked in the cedar box where I’d once hidden my old diary — I’d been led to believe my brother was dead. But the contents of his journal changed all that.

The Road to Discovery...
Two years ago, Aurora Gray’s world turned upside down when her big brother Gideon and his best friend Jeremy disappeared. Now, during the summer of her 18th birthday, she unexpectedly finds her brother’s journal and sees that it’s been written in again. Recently. By him.

The Road to Danger...
There are secret messages coded within the journal’s pages. Aurora, who’s unusually perceptive and a natural puzzle solver, is hell bent on following where they lead, no matter what the cost. She confides in the only person she feels can help her interpret the clues: Donovan McCafferty, Jeremy’s older brother and a guy she’s always been drawn to — even against her better judgment.

The Road to You...
Reluctantly, Donovan agrees to go with her and, together, they set out on a road trip of discovery and danger, hoping to find their lost brothers and the answers to questions they’ve never dared to ask aloud.

In that expectant space between silence and melody, our trip began...



The Road to You
The Road to You by Marilyn Brant
Rating: 4 of 5 stars

I almost gave up on The Road to You with all the violence surrounding our children's schools and the national events. I thought it would be too much in addition to all the drama hovering around my own daughter. It started to ring a little too close to home ; alas I'm glad I didn't give up on it.

While mysteries normally aren't my cup of tea unless it's heavily cloaked in romance. I'm woman enough to admit to admit I was completely drawn into the search for the two friend who vanished without a trace. While you can read between the lines of the budding relationship between Aurora and Donavan; the search for their missing brothers always remained the goal. And the mystery surrounding the circumstances is as much a character as the character themselves.

When the journal that Aurora brother was always writing in made a sudden appearance two years after the boys disappear . Aura can't help but know it's a plea from her brother to come find him. 17-year-old Aurora then enlist the older brother of Jeremy (her brothers best friend) Donavan (who she has crushed on forever and a day) to help her search. Reluctantly Donavan accompanies Aurora on a short trip to put an end to Aurora delusions only to discover more in 24-hours than the police did in two years. Thus begins Aurora and Donavan's road trip down Rt. 66 to uncovering the truth behind the brother's sudden an mysterious disappearance moments where they are afraid to hope and moments where they desperate to know the truth. Though as the reader towards the end it was clear who the bad cops were, still the mystery of what happened to the missing friends wasn't. However, when things come to a head and everything is out in the open- it was an ending I never expected. And one you will have to read to know for yourself. Sorry NO SPOILERS here!!

What an emotional journey both Aurora and Donavan themselves on. My only grumble of a complaint isn't much of one at all. I was just a little disappointed that the author after the big reveal continued to wrap things up in a nice tightly bow assuring the reader of this being a single. I for one could smell a trilogy had it ended at a certain point- such as a second book as a possible follow up on the events of the missing friends that lead to the siblings search and beyond. Can't say too much or I will give up the goods. As well as a third book that follows up on all the characters and relations that put the tight bow back in place.

On a side note I read I read The Road to You from my kindle and it was very difficult to see the inserts from the journal entries. I had to stop and expand the lettering height and it was still difficult. Though I'm not sure anything can be done about this.

All and all you can see and read that my mystery reviews are lacking. But please don't let this stop you. I did enjoy the book. If you enjoy realistic mysteries with some coy romance between the lines you can't pass this up.

One final thing.... I agree with Donavan, "Disco is a Fad!"

1 comment:

  1. Lissa, thanks SO much for reading and reviewing The Road to You! I truly appreciate it, and I just LOVE how you refuse to post spoilers!! Thank you for that, too :).

    ReplyDelete

We “The Novel Lasses” would love to know what you are thinking. Leave us a comment and Alexandra or Lissa will get back to you ASAP! Remember to be kind and love one another! Share!