Monday, September 30, 2013

Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2) by Kami Garcia

Beautiful Darkness
Synopsis:

Ethan Wate used to think of Gatlin, the small Southern town he had always called home, as a place where nothing ever changed. Then he met mysterious newcomer Lena Duchannes, who revealed a secret world that had been hidden in plain sight all along. A Gatlin that harbored ancient secrets beneath its moss-covered oaks and cracked sidewalks. A Gatlin where a curse has marked Lena's family of powerful Supernaturals for generations. A Gatlin where impossible, magical, life-altering events happen.

Sometimes life-ending.

Together they can face anything Gatlin throws at them, but after suffering a tragic loss, Lena starts to pull away, keeping secrets that test their relationship. And now that Ethan's eyes have been opened to the darker side of Gatlin, there's no going back. Haunted by strange visions only he can see, Ethan is pulled deeper into his town's tangled history and finds himself caught up in the dangerous network of underground passageways endlessly crisscrossing the South, where nothing is as it seems.




Beautiful Darkness
Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia
Rating: 3 of 5 stars


I am still having a hard time reading this series… and an even harder time reviewing it…. However, it is getting better…

As hard as this series is for me to read I have to admit that book two was much better than boon one. I managed to finish it in 15 hours verses the 21 hours it took me to read book one. Just like the first book as things started to escalate the author would slam on the brakes and fill the pages with repetitive hints of chapters past. Apparently, the author think people reading her books are idiots. After reading the first two books I think it would have been better if the author cut most of the weight out of both books and combined them into one. Just as in book, one I had a hard time keeping myself focused on the book. The story line was better drafted and tried to draw me— almost successfully. However once again I found the authors slamming on the breaks. I also had a better time seeing some of the characters and feeling for them. I was shocked to learn that Macon’s Janie was Ethan’s mom. However, I expected to find out that Ethan was Macon’s son due to Ethan’s abilities and was elated to find out I was wrong.

None of the characters captured me whole heartedly thus far. I am not even sure half the time if I have, their names correct without having to check back through the kindle. Nevertheless, if I had to pick one favorite character it would be the sister’s. I know they were just a filler part but they had me cracking up. I love it when old people are funny.

None of the characters captured me whole-heartedly in book one that changed for book two. The way the authors weaved the love story of Macon and Janie left me puzzled; asking will there ever be a way for them to be together again with magic? In addition, Link and Ridley grew on me and with the changes both of them will be facing in book, three has me speculating where the story will lead.

Which is what I think, the author was hoping for her readers due to the ending. That said, the series is getting much better. I honestly can’t wait to see where the authors are taking the story.

Books that belong to this series: 
Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) Dream Dark (Caster Chronicles, #2.5) Beautiful Chaos (Caster Chronicles, #3) 
Beautiful Redemption (Caster Chronicles, #4) Beautiful Creatures: The Graphic Novel
For what it is worth, we're am glad you took the time to take a 'look-see' at our blog today.  Please leave a comment below and let us know what you think.  Everyone has room for improvement.  Also you will be added to the monthly top commenter giveaway!  Hint:  It will be a kindle book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We “The Novel Lasses” would love to know what you are thinking. Leave us a comment and Alexandra or Lissa will get back to you ASAP! Remember to be kind and love one another! Share!