Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia

Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, # 1)Goodrads Synopsis:

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.
 

 

Our rating: 4 of 5 stars
 
 
 
Little Lass Muses

Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance, Magic
Cover: The purple on the gray and black cover poped.
Thumbs: 3 Out 4 Up
Overall: Dream love come to town. Hope! Weird! Cool!
Characters: Ethan's voice was girly though he is the perfect guy at everything. Lena and her family are unique to say the least. Link a great friend. Amma is a scary protective woman and Ravenwood I predict more from.
Plot: Best so far this year. I can see why it has chose for film. BC is fuller than any YA book I have ever read. It has a rich heritage that sets the stage for a fabulous story.
Page Turner: Yes
Recommend: Yes
My Book Boyfriend: Linc, really could there be anybody else. He is super sweet and stays friends when the whole school turns their back.
Most Like Me or who I want to be: Lena. On the cusp of her destiny. Good or bad, which way to go? Each has benefit and sacrifices. But fate has more in store for Lena and I can't wait to read more.


Little Lass Random Thoughts:

What was the deal with Ethan's family spelling everything. That drove me crazy and for the first time I understood my mom's "batsh** crazy" saying. That said, I loved the blossoming whorl wind romance between Ethan and Lena. But I have to agree with my mom; Ethan sounds more like what I would want him to be not what he should be.


Novel Lass Reviews:
It took me three days to read this the first time I read it. With my daughter it still took two days. And I have to say I enjoyed it better with my daughter than on my own. I thought my opinion would change and I was surprised that it did waver by much though I increased the original Star status.

I had a hard time keeping myself focused on the book. It never grabbed hold of me and demanded that I keep reading. I think, mostly, this was because the pacing was off. Sure, there were intense moments and I was glued to the pages, but then things slowed down and came to a grinding halt. I also had a hard time seeing some of the characters. I think the author was a little vague on her descriptions at times and Ethan's voice was too feminine to me. It showed through that the authors were woman.

Beautiful Creatures was a good story. I think it could have been great if it had been shorter, (***and the authors had not rushed to publish; three short months***) which would have increased the tension and kept the readers (*especially me*) glued to the pages through the whole story. In addition, I didn’t get the way the chapters are numbered. The authors decide well, we wrote these chapters in September so instead of numbering them chronological I think I will use the date written. I don’t think I have ever seen that. (**in footnotes and early drafts, yes but it never made it publication to my knowledge**)

I did not think I was going to make it through the book. I could not find my hook in the storyline. I did however manage to drudge through it by creating my own hook…. Remembering what it was like when I had my first crush on a guy. (**However, it seems that Ethan and Lena fared better than I did.**) None of the characters captured me whole heartedly thus far. I am not even sure half the time if I have, their names correct without having to check back through the kindle. Nevertheless, if I had to pick one favorite character it would be the sister’s. I know they were just a filler part but they had me cracking up. I love it when old people are funny.

In addition, I had read another reviewer comment that she/he didn’t get the feeling of the true south. Unfortunately I did. I grew up in small-minded town that had its own reenactment with its own small-minded inaccurate history. And, yes we to had (**they still do**) the crazy woman who run around thinking they had a say in everything because their greats fought in the war on the wrong side, pro-slavery, I want to add— just so you understand how stupid these woman look to the new generations, who value people as people.

That being said, it’s a decent series thus far now that I have hook. I love paranormal love stories. (*This way I don’t have compare my love life to a fictional character. Yet, I find myself asking, “Where is my soul mate?” From time to time and would settle for some of the male leads. LOL!*) In addition, I found myself sadden that Macon died in the end. However, I was enlightened to learn the Beautiful Creatures title referred to humans and leads me to think book two’s Beautiful Darkness is referring to Dark Caster’s as Lena is both dark and light.

What more can I say, you must READ!!


Our Favorite Random Quotes:

“Sixteen Moons, Sixteen Years
Sixteen of your deepest fears
Sixteen times you dreamed my tears Falling,
Falling through the years
Sixteen moons, sixteen years
Sound of thunder in your ears
Sixteen miles before she nears
Sixteen seeks what sixteen fears
Sixteen moons, sixteen years
sixteen times you dreamed my fears
Sixteen will try to Bind the spears
Sixteen screams just one hears
Sixteen moons, sixteen years
The Claiming moon, the hour nears
In these pages Darkness clears
Powers bind what fire sears
Sixteenth moon, Sixteenth year
now has come the day you fear
Claim or be Claimed
Shed blood, Shed tear
Moon or Sun- destroy, revere.”

“There was a curse. There was a girl. And in the end, there was a grave. I never even saw it coming.”

“If a girl says not to get her a birthday present that means get me a birthday present and make sure it's jewelry.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

We “The Novel Lasses” would love to know what you are thinking. Leave us a comment and Alexandra or Lissa will get back to you ASAP! Remember to be kind and love one another! Share!